WHAT INFORMATION IS BEING COLLECTED?
We may collect the following information when you register or correspond with us:
- your name;
- contact information including email address and phone numbers;
- demographic information such as your postcode;
- social media login details that you give to us;
- your IP address;
- other information that you provide to us (which may include information provided in any questions, comments or feedback you leave on the site).
We also collect details of which version of web browser you used.
You will always be told when this information is being collected and why it is being collected.
WHY IS IT BEING COLLECTED?
We may use this information to:
- conduct digital campaigning by emailing politicians and other decision-makers on important issues when you request us to do so using the functionality of the website(and share your information with these third parties);
- communicate with you about the campaign and associated causes of ScotlandCan and respond to any correspondence or feedback you send;
- use third party applications such as Google Analytics or Facebook advertising;
- provide you with information about ScotlandCan if you want it;
- for administration and record keeping including data analysis to understand the effectiveness of our campaigns and activities;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of any advertising we serve to you;
improve the website by monitoring how you use it.
We may run analytics to understand more about:
- the visitors to the website;
- information on how you use the site
- by using a session cookie to store your personal data when filling out multiple forms.
Depending on your privacy settings, such cookies will be accepted by your browser. The session cookie will not transfer information to third parties.
We also use page tagging techniques to help us improve the website. You can find out more about cookies and their use at this link: https://www.google.com/url?q=https://cookiesandyou.com/
HOW WILL IT BE USED?
Your data will only be used for the legitimate purpose you have provided it for. For example, your email address and postcode details which are needed for communicating with your constituency politician, will only be used for that purpose.
WHO WILL IT BE SHARED WITH?
Your data will only be shared with, third parties and software platforms where you provide express consent for this. We will never sell your personal information to third parties.
We compile anonymous records of user trends which we may make use of ourselves, or pass to our associated companies. The information we pass on will not include any personal information by which you may be identified.
We will comply with any court order requesting or requiring the disclosure of the identity or location of or any other information in relation to anyone who has accessed the website and we may also disclose such information where we are advised by our lawyers that a court order would be granted requiring us to disclose it, even if no legal proceedings have been commenced in relation to the same.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. Unfortunately, despite our measures, because of the nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that your information will remain at all times 100% secure. The continuing efforts of hackers to defeat even the newest of security systems means that we can never make this promise.
SPECIAL CATEGORY PERSONAL DATA
We do not collect “special categories of personal data” about our supporters (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data), unless we have your express consent. Clear notices will be provided on application forms for such events so that it is clear what information we need and why we need it.
All special categories of personal data are stored on a secure database, to which only a limited number of relevant staff have access. It is deleted when no longer relevant, is never shared with third parties, and is available to you at any point should you wish to see it.
FACEBOOK AND OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
We may also use your email address and phone number to match to your account on Facebook or other social media sites in order to show you content from us while using these services. We only do this where you have opted in to marketing emails or phone calls and we keep your data secure by encrypting it. No data we hold about you is retained by the third party.
In addition, we may also use your email address and phone number to link to Facebook or other social media sites in order to identify other users of these sites whom we believe would be interested in our campaign. No data we hold about you is retained by the third party.You can opt out of this via the settings on the social media site.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU WANT TO OBJECT, COMPLAIN OR RESCIND THE USE OF YOUR DATA
Any further requests for information, deletion or correction of your personal data can also be obtained by writing to email@example.com or:
The Data Protection Officer, Scotland Can c/o McSparran McCormick, 663 Clarkson Road, Netherlee, Glasgow, G44 3SE in the United Kingdom
If you have contacted us and are still concerned about the use of your data, you have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office here: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
We may revise and update this Privacy Notice from time to time (for example if we change our practices, add new site features, or change existing site features). You should check this page from time to time to ensure you are happy with any changes. Your use of this site following such changes constitutes your agreement with regard to information collected from you in the past and in the future.
In addition to this website we may also collect data in the following ways:
- face to face conversations or over the phone with a campaign representative
- from relevant organisations where there is legitimate consent to do so
- from publicly available information such as polling data
We will use this data to keep you up to date with our work, our campaign activity and to let you know how you can support us where we have your consent to do so. You can always withdraw your consent at any time.